The healing abilities of the cannabis plant have been noted for centuries. Before now, the cannabis plant was recommended by traditional healers and used for the curing of different types of disorders. In recent times, despite the strict regulations on the use of cannabis, the numerous health benefits of the compounds that make up cannabis have also been acknowledged by practitioners of modern medicine.
Research has shown that the cannabis plant has healing abilities due to the presence of CBD, an active compound found in the cannabis plant. Although with similar health benefits, CBD differs from THC because it is non-psychoactive. This implies that it won’t get you high, and you can’t be addicted to it.
Benefits of CBD
Some of the benefits of CBD as established by research include the following:
– Pain modulation: CBD is an effective agent for pain modulation in humans. In fact, research has established that CBD is effective for managing different forms of pain, which include non-receptive and neuropathic pain due to the link between the endocannabinoid system and the central nervous system as well as the peripheral nervous system.
– Management of depression and mood disorders: Depression is a condition that affects a sizeable proportion of persons around the world, especially the young population. Depression also contributes to the increased loss of productivity as a result of a loss of interest in everyday activities. Cannabinoids have been established as effective for managing depression and mood disorders due to their abilities to interact with the nervous system and increase the levels of serotonin.
– Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that modulates moods and is responsible for positive moods. It is, however, noteworthy that taking CBD for managing depression and mood disorders should be according to the advice of a qualified and licensed medical practitioner since the actions are dosage-sensitive, and the required dosage could vary amongst individuals.
– Anti-inflammatory properties: When the body is exposed to certain foreign substances that could be harmful, the natural process of inflammation occurs. This natural process could become harmful when it is sustained for a long period and could lead to chronic conditions. Cannabinoids also have notable anti-inflammatory properties and are known for delaying the process of inflammation that could lead to chronic conditions. This is one of the therapeutic properties of cannabinoids that cuts across different chronic conditions and has been implicated in the management of arthritis.
– Prevention of cancer: Research has shown that cannabinoids such as CBD can prevent the growth and progression of cancer. Topical forms of cannabinoids have been especially noted as therapeutic for skin cancer. Cannabinoids prevent both malignant and benign tumors in humans, and consumers of cannabinoids have been known to be less prone to cancer.
Finally, CBD offers so many benefits to the human body. It does not only promote sleep but also provide relief from anxiety and depression, prevent cancer, and modulate pain. One beautiful thing about CBD is that it won’t get you high and you can never be addicted to it.